I've wanted to try magnetic nail polishes for a while, but most brands cost upwards of $15 and I wasn't willing to spend that much (what if I didn't like it!?). The good thing about Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Color is that it costs only $9.99 and there's often coupons for Sally Hansen products in local stores (MUCH more affordable!).
Now, onto the actual nail polish! The bottle and color look like this.
In order to get the cool wavy effects, a magnet is included on the nail polish. My hovering the magnet over the freshly painted nail for a few seconds, it moves the particles in the nail polish to create cool designs.
The magnetic cap is removable. (It took me a while to figure this out. At first I just flipped the entire brush/cap over when 'magnetizing' my nails, but soon realized that with a firm pull the magnetic cap separates off the nail polish cap). Here's a photo of the 'lip' on the magnetic cap. The 'lip' prevents the magnet from touching your nail when 'magnetizing' the polish.
And here's a picture of what the nail polish looks like when the magnetic cap is removed. It's much easier to use this way!
Now, there's a few instructions to ensure that your magnetic mani goes right!
- Remove nail polish from nails. Even if your nails are already clean, remove the oils on your nails by using nail polish (the oils on your nails can prevent the polish from sticking properly and can cause a shorter life span of your mani!).
- Push your cuticles and shape your nails as you like. You can also apply a base coat.
- Apply one thin/normal coat of the magnetic nail polish. Let it dry (this didn't take longer than 5 minutes for me).
|my nails with one coat|
- First make sure your magnetic cap is nearby/handy. Then, apply a THICK coat of polish to your nail (only do one nail at a time!!!)
- Take the magnetic cap and making sure that the 'lip' part is towards your cuticle, place it over your nail for about 10 seconds. Be careful to not let the magnetic cap touch your nail polish!
- Lift the cap and admire your mani! You can also apply a top coat to your polish to help seal and protect it. Then clean up the edges as necessary.
|my nails after the first time using Sally Hansen Magnetic Color!|
The complimentary products mentioned in this review were provided to me by Influenster for testing purposes. All opinions are mine.